This past Fall, the TDSB opened a Newcomer Services facility in Ward 23 at Centrepoint (6464 Yonge Street). Part of the Community Services department, this program offers settlement services to newcomers ages 13 and above and is funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada and operated by the Toronto District School Board.
The program offers:
- citizenship preparation classes
- housing assistance
- language training information
- employment workshops
- individual income tax filing (seasonal)
- information on legal aids
- social services information
- information on daycare/childminding services
- assistance completing government forms and applications
- computer training
- assistance with other settlement needs
TDSB Community Services also offers a wide range of community services that are funded by various levels of government. These services include apprenticeship and pre-apprenticeship programs, employment, language training, academic upgrading, and settlement and integration services. Clients are primarily job seekers, newcomers to Canada, persons with disabilities, women, social assistance recipients, youth and others.